Did you recently declutter your apartment and find yourself with a stack of items that you want to donate? As long as your items are in decent condition (i.e., not ripped or stained), there are many different charities and businesses that will accept your donations.
• Goodwill – Goodwill accepts clothing, shoes, small furniture, domestics like sheets and towels, jewelry, books, computers, printers, monitors, and even vehicles. Your donations are sold in their stores, the proceeds of which are used to support training programs that help people find jobs and become financially stable.
• Salvation Army – Salvation Army accepts appliances, automobiles, clothing, furniture, and other household goods. Your donation helps support their community programs and other outreach services.
• World Computer Exchange – They will accept computers, laptops, printers, hard drives, software, and more to place in schools, libraries, community centers, and universities in developing countries.
• Soles4Souls – They accept new or gently-worn shoes of many types, including running shoes, dress shoes, sandals, heels, work boots, cleats, and flip-flops, and distributes them to those in need in over 125 countries.
• Your local library – All local libraries will accept books in good condition.
As you can see, nearly any unwanted item in your house that’s in good condition can be used in a beneficial way. In addition, you’ll be doing your part for the environment by not disposing of items that would otherwise take up space in a landfill.