Learning about the Orange in Our Apartments for Rent in Wildwood
We all know that the orange is the signature fruit of Florida, but how much do we really know about this darling of the Sunshine State? Every time we bite into a juicy orange slice, what we’re really biting into is the result of thousands of years of cultivation. Learn a bit more about this member of the citrus family and dazzle your friends with trivia.
Below are some interesting facts that you may not know about the standard sweet orange:
- An orange is a hesperidium, which is a type of berry.
- The orange originally developed in Southeast Asia.
- Ancient cultures called oranges “golden apples.”
- Many cultures often refer to the orange as the “Chinese apple.”
- Some Middle Eastern cultures use orange juice as a type of seasoning for food to reduce grease.
- Oranges at the supermarket are sometimes dyed and waxed to make them look more appealing.
- Oranges contain vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and beta-carotene.
Over the centuries, hundreds of different types of oranges have emerged, like the bitter orange, the bergamot orange, the mandarin orange, and the blood orange. Whether you like your orange tart or sweet, juiced or sliced, there’s definitely something out there for everyone to enjoy. As the residents of our apartments for rent in Wildwood can tell you, few sensations compare to the feeling of the warm Florida sun on your face while biting into an orange.
If you would like to learn more fun Florida facts, you can visit our full list of community articles on this website. You can also contact our leasing office and our friendly staff can give you more information about PepperTree Apartment Homes, apartment features, floor plans, and community amenities.